IEEE and Nature journals are the newest open access publishing agreements secured by the UC Libraries for UCSC authors to consider in their publishing decisions. These options have unique characteristics, which are described below.
Open access publishing support in IEEE journals:
- Dates: Starts July 15, 2022 (not retroactive prior to this date) and ends December 31, 2025
- What is included? All IEEE journals (not proceedings)
- What costs are covered? The discounted open access cost is either (a) paid fully by the library for authors who do not have research funds, or (b) paid fully by the author(s) who has funds to cover the whole article processing charge (APC). The agreement also covers overlength page charges for all UC authors regardless of how they choose to publish with IEEE
- See the IEEE FAQ for more information
Open access publishing support in the Nature portfolio of journals:
- Dates: Begins August 1, 2022 (not retroactive prior to this date) and goes through December 31, 2024
- What is included? The Nature portfolio of journals, including Nature, the Nature research journals, Nature Communications, and Scientific Reports
- What costs are covered? The library will cover the first $1,000 of the APC, and the author(s) is fully responsible for the remainder of the cost. (Unlike some other UC open access publishing agreements, there is no full APC coverage option offered by the library for Nature journals)
- See the Nature FAQ for more information
The full list of UC’s publishing agreements and discounts is available for reference.
Please reach out to the library via email@example.com with questions.