Major Staff Assignment Changes:
In Cataloging, Janet Young has moved to perform her cataloging work in Special Collections and reports to Christine Bunting in early July. Lisa Wong, new LA3, joins Cataloging on July 17, 2006, and is trained by Lai-Ying while Shirley helps to review Lisa’s copy cataloging work.
1. Cataloging / Electronic Record Management:
- 100,000 system record numbers in Cruzcat modified to ensure proper record overlays and linking (Teri)
- Batch record loaders for both CDL and vendor records updated (Lai-Ying)
Projects in Progress:
- ISSN Project: About 6,000 issn’s have been downloaded into Cruzcat . Need to look for a better tool for the rest of the titles before our second round starts (Teri).
- Updating personal names with death dates (Yiyen establishes procedure, trains and coordinates work by Mike, Tungyi & Shirley, using Milcat global updates). Print ribbons for generating authority lists for checking are unavailable, but subject headings are continued to be updated on a routine basis. Authority checking procedures have to be reviewed after the new Catalog Librarian arrives
- Cataloging of Rabinowitz CD’s (Terra establishes procedure, trains and coordinates work by Tungyi, Mike, Janet M., Mordechai and Lisa)
- Cataloging of print dissertations (Janet Young establishes procedure, trains and coordinates work by Janet M., Mordechai, Shirley, Terra and herself)
- LC new series policy (uncontrolled series tags 490 indexed for both phrase & keyword indexing. Teri is reviewing “Class Sep” policy for books with distinctive titles within series and Lai-Ying is monitoring how the series situation in Cruzcat, consulting Public Services and Collection Planning along the way)
- Cataloging of computer games (Lai-Ying is working with Wei on a proposal)
- Integrating Resource format for database, websites and loose-leaf materials (Lai-Ying has updated codes in Cruzcat and Melvyl to accept Cruzcat records with the new codes. Public Services will be consulted about their existence on webopac).
- Copy Catalogers are switching to milcat for copy cataloging, queuing for batch labels and global updates to get ready for the enhanced milcat training
- Upgrade to OCLC Connexion 1.6
- Review of the indexing of ISSN, ISBN, music, LC and other system numbers that affect linking and other indexing issues
- Transition of oclc numbers from 8 to 9 digits with a new prefix
- Review of OCLC Connexion functionality and features that can be applied in cataloging operations
- Training on Classification Web
- Training on Cataloger’s Desktop
- Participation in the coordination of UC cataloging initiatives resulting from the BSTF recommendations
- Training by UC on the Funnel Project for OCLC/CONSER serials record maintenance
- Training on the cataloging of electronic resources including computer games
- Review of UCSD’s METS wrappers and/or OCLC’s metadata extraction and creation
2. Serials / E-Resources:
- New Format code in order records updated (Teri)
- Batch load current publisher information to the serials bibliographic records (Teri)
- Meaning of PRINT+ONLINE, PRINT with ONLINE and PRINT+FREE ONLINE defined (Tungyi, Mike)
- Meaning of Identity and Format fields defined in order records (Peggy, Kelly)
Projects in Progress:
- Evaluating how to input current publisher data in the bibliographic records (Tungyi)
- E-Z proxy project (Lai-Ying)
- Work on batch update of data in the Identity and Format fields in the order records
- Decide on how to describe the access platform notes in the order records
- Review of the entire e-resource ordering, renewal, link registration/activation process
- How to make better use of serials vendors’ tools
- Review impact of Verde
- Replacement procedure revised.
- Procedure to download OCLC records with call number and update holdings in OCLC at the point of ordering devised and implemented.
- Set up procedures using Millennium Acquisitions for invoicing, record loading, ordering, receiving, cancellations, etc.
- Migrate to ISBN-13
- Review of new OCLC Connexion functionality and features that can be applied to acquisitions operations,
4. Technical Services:
Project in Progress: Migrate to Millennium 2006 (Varvara is coordinating training)