p. 63 ...
In 1860 the population of the town of Santa Cruz was eight hundred; population of Watsonville at this period, four hundred and sixty. ...
Sawmills were started in several portions of the county, especially in the vicinity of Santa Cruz. The pioneers in this branch of industry do not appear to have been very successful. It was not until some agreement as to prices was resolved upon, to speak properly, a combination made among the leading lumbermen of this and other counties, that promoters of this enterprise succeeded in their undertakings. Formerly it was quite common for sawmill men to run a season, when, their cash and credit becoming exhausted, the mills were abandoned. Whatever evils against public policy there may be in combination of capital, on thing is evident, that the sawmills of the county have been successful in recent years, have not only paid their men promptly, but continue to do so. At the present time the lumber business is on a sound basis. The Loma Prieta Lumber Company, the F. A. Hihn Company, of Aptos, Cunningham & Co., the Santa Clara Valley Mill and Lumber Company, are the principal concerns in the county in this business. ....
p. 65 …
In 1876 a narrow-gauge road was built and running from Santa Cruz to Watsonville, and from that place to Pajaro connected with the main line to San Francisco. This second road was built by a local company, of which F. A. Hihn was president.
p. 82 “Officers of Santa Cruz County from 1850 to 1891.”
Member of Assembly.
F. A. Hihn, I. D., 1870-1872
[Editor’s Note: “I.D.” = Independent Democrat. He served in the Eighteenth Session of the California Legislature, which “Met at Sacramento December 6, 1869; adjourned April 4, 1870.” -- California Blue Book, p. 317]
“Chapter XIII: General Description”
p. 158-159 “Capitola—An Attractive and Delightful Summer Resort”
Capitola, the gem of the Bay of Monterey, is a summer resort in a delightful nook about four miles from Santa Cruz, in a protected cove, where the Soquel River empties into the bay. It was established in 1876 by Mr. Hihn, who owned the property, and it has since steadily grown, until to-day it is one of the most popular seaside resorts in California. Its advantageous features must be seen to be fully appreciated. Its comparative freedom from fogs, and the entire absence of harsh winds, its location near the mountains and the foothills overlooking the town, a grand perspective view of Loma Prieta’s black peak rising in the distance, the opportunities for salt-water fishing in the bay, combine to furnish the greatest possible number of natural advantages.
Nature has been bountiful and generous, and her attractive features have been enhanced by the improvements that have been made here during the past few years. Numerous cottages have been constructed, ranging in value from a few hundred to $8,000 each, and during the summer season not less than two thousand people, bidding adieu to the busy turmoil of the cities and the heated atmosphere of the interior counties, here find surcease of toil and freedom from the elevated temperature which prevails during a part of the summer months in much of the interior of the State. The town is sewered, and every precaution has been taken to make it cleanly and healthful. It is supplied by the Hihn Company’s Water Works with pure mountain water. The bathing beach is one of the best in the State.
One has but to pass through here on the train during the months of July or August to realize the fact that it is a resort of considerable importance, as he will perceive the depot and adjacent grounds thronged with people. To good-looking bachelors I will here impart the cheerful information that there is a great preponderance of the feminine element at this place during the summer season.
p. 165 “Aptos.”
Near where Aptos Creek debouches into the Bay of Monterey, about eight miles southeast of Santa Cruz, is situated the little town of Aptos. It is simply a small village, containing a few stores, hotel, etc., but is a shipping-point of considerable importance, being connected by rail with the large lumber mills of the Loma Prieta Company and the F. A. Hihn Company.
p. 195 “The Aptos Mill.”
Among the most prominent sawmills and lumber interests in Santa Cruz County are the possessions of the Hihn Company. Their Aptos mill is one of the best equipped in the country. It is located three miles from Aptos, and has a daily capacity of seventy thousand feet. Connection is made with the Southern Pacific at Aptos by means of a horse railway, which will soon be converted into a steam motor road.
The Aptos mill manufactures everything in the line of building material, making a specialty of nothing in particular, unless it be fancy pickets, boxes, and mouldings. They have a fine yard at Aptos, a small engraving of which is published over the title of “Industrial Features of the County.” This firm has very extensive possessions of timber land in this county. It is estimated that at the present rate of output their timber will last for thirty years or more.
p. 207-209 “Chesnutwood’s Business College.”
Conspicuous among the educational features of this county is Chesnutwood’s Business College, in the city of Santa Cruz. It was established February 4, 1884, by Professor J. A. Chesnutwood, its present principal and proprietor. The object of the institution is to qualify students for a practical business life.... Chesnutwood’s if the first college of this kind in the State.
The school was established with seven pupils; now the roll calls for two hundred and fifty. The school has steadily advanced until it has outgrown its present accommodations, and work has been inaugurated by the F. A. Hihn Company upon a new brick building at the corner of Pacific and Walnut Avenues, which will be especially constructed for the use of Professor Chesutwood, and will accommodate four hundred pupils. ....
p. 210-212 “The Christian Church.”
On April 15, 1889, E. B. Ware, the general manager of the State work, wrote a letter to C. J. Todd, of Santa Cruz, in which he recited the action of the Irvington convention, and suggested to Todd that, if opportunities were afforded, the Christian Church of California might build up a “second Pacific Grove at Santa Cruz.” This letter was handed by Mr. Todd to Mrs. Nellie Ohden, of Beach Hill, who took it to the Sentinel office, on the twentieth day of April. The Sentinel, under the caption of “A Second Pacific Grove,” published an editorial which gave the contents of the letter to the public in substance, and called the attention of the citizens to the importance of such a move.
The twenty-eighth day of May the general manager, E. B. Ware, directed Henry Stadle, State evangelist, who was then on his way to Santa Cruz, to investigate the advantages of Santa Cruz as a place for permanent location. He was directed to see the railroad agent and other landowners, and see what could be done. The 8th of June he went to Santa Cruz and made the investigations. He saw Mr. Hihn, Mr. Robinson, and Mr. Fitch, and drove out and looked at the land now known as Garfield Park. He reported to the general manager the results of the investigations, on the twelfth day of June.
On the twentieth day of July following, David Walk came to Santa Cruz. He preached for the church at De Lamatio’s Hall [DeLameter’s] on the 21st. There he learned of the efforts that had been made looking for a location at Santa Cruz. His business eye at once saw the advantages of such a move, and he, in company with H. Frank Vandy, went to work in earnest to consummate the work which had been so favorably begun. They soon succeeded in enlisting several business men in the enterprise. The Santa Cruz Surf, ever alive to the interests of the city, began at once to unfold the advantages of such a movement. Mr. Robinson, Mr. Fitch, Mr. King, Mr. Bushnell, Mr. Younglove, Mr. Hihn, and others donated the land, and a cash donation of $3,000 was guaranteed, the result of which was that, at the State Convention at Ukiah, on the 20th of September, 1889, the donation was accepted, and Garfield Park became a fixed fact in the history of the Christian Church and of Santa Cruz County.
p. 218-219 “The Hihn Company.”
The Hihn Company is composed of F. A. Hihn, his sons, Louis W., August C., and Fred O., and his son-in-law, W. T. Cope. These form a Board of Directors, with August C. Hihn, President; W. T. Cope, Secretary, and F. O. Hihn, Treasurer.
Mr. F. A. Hihn is a pioneer of the State, and one of its wealthy and prominent citizens. Coming to this country at an early date, by industry, tact, and good management he has amassed a considerable fortune, the realty of which in this county is now being offered by the Hihn Company upon terms which will enable a man of very moderate means to secure a comfortable and profitable home.
The company owns about fifteen thousand acres of land in Santa Cruz County, two thousand acres of which are now covered with a magnificent growth of redwood forests. This redwood timber land, when cleared, makes the best fruit land in the State, as has been practically demonstrated.
Much of these extensive possessions, comprising fine farming and fruit land in the mountains and foothills, acreage and suburban home property near the Bay of Monterey, and lot property in Santa Cruz, Aptos, Capitola, Felton, Valencia, and Fair View, are now offered for sale upon the following superior and unparalleled terms: At a sum to be mutually agreed upon, payable in ten annual installments, with interest at the rate of six per cent per annum, life insurance to the purchaser gratis to the extent of his indebtedness to the company for the property. Thus if, after making a purchase and paying one-tenth of the purchase price, the purchaser should die, the Hihn Company bind themselves in the contract of sale to make a deed of the property without further cost to the heirs of the deceased. They will build a house upon the property purchased from them, upon the same terms, except that the life insurance is only for the amount due upon the real estate, the purchaser paying the first year one-tenth of the total cost of the house and property, and paying an annual interest of eight per cent upon the whole until he has paid one-fourth of the total indebtedness, when his interest rate will be reduced to seven per cent. The Hihn Company located about one hundred families upon these terms, and is doing a splendid work in securing homes for poor and industrious people, and developing the resources of the county.
The interests of the Hihn Company are extensive and voluminous, comprising besides the property above noted the water works of Santa Cruz, Soquel, and Capitola. A more general and definite idea of the magnitude of this firm’s business may be obtained from the knowledge of the fact that their monthly expense account amounts to $20,000.
Parties desiring to avail themselves of the superior inducements offered by these people will address or call in person on the Hihn Company, at their office in the city of Santa Cruz.
p. 222 “Some Industries of the County.”
“The Hihn Company’s Lumber Yard at Aptos”
[an engraving by “Audibert Eng., S.F.”]
p. 227ff PART II.
“Biographies of the Pioneers and Prominent Citizens
of Santa Cruz County.”
No man is more prominently and closely identified with the history of Santa Cruz than is Elihu Anthony. Mr. Anthony came to California in 1847, and to Santa Cruz in 1848, since which time he has taken a leading part in the affairs of this community. He is notable as a member of the first Board of Supervisors of Santa Cruz, also as a builder of the first wharf in Santa Cruz harbor. This wharf stood where Davis & Cowell’s wharf now is, and was built upon a similar plan.
Another enterprise in which Mr. Anthony was a pioneer was the establishment of a water system in Santa Cruz. F. A. Hihn was his partner in this undertaking. By the year 1856 the village of Santa Cruz had grown large enough to require a better water supply then [sic] wells could afford. So Hihn and Anthony brought the water from the river in pipes made of redwood logs, bored out and joined together, and stored the water in reservoirs constructed by them on the piece of land where Mr. Anthony now lives. The old reservoirs are now (1891) being filled up.
p. 230 HENRY JACKSON.
Henry Jackson is a prominent citizen of Watsonville, a pioneer business man, and an earnest worker for the good of the commonwealth in which he lives.
.... For a while he was in the employ of F. A. Hihn, and soon after engaged in partnership with Mr. Hihn in the mercantile trade, and opened the first store in Watsonville, which did a flourishing business. Shortly afterward Mr. Jackson bought out his partner’s interest and conducted the business alone.
p. 252-253 EDWARD LAURENCE WILLIAMS
.... To Mr. and Mrs. Williams eleven children have been born, viz: Edward C., aged thirty-six, at the present time postmaster of Santa Cruz; Charles E., aged thirty-four, now employed by the F. A. Hihn Company as clerk; Laurence E., aged twenty-five, manager of an Oakland drug store; Lewis G., aged twenty-three, who is working in the office of the county surveyor and learning surveying; Helen M., aged eighteen, residing with her parents. The other six children died in infancy or early childhood. Mr. Williams is a member of the Santa Cruz Pioneer Association and of the Masonic Fraternity, being the oldest Mason in membership ....
p. 256-257 JOHN ERNEST KUNITZ.
John E. Kunitz was born at Camin, Pomerania, Prussia, in 1827. He was educated to the business of his father, who was an apothecary, and attended the school of his native town and the college at Stettin. In 1849 Mr. Kunitz sailed for America. His voyage was to San Francisco direct, a six months’ trip in a sailing vessel. F. A. Hihn was a fellow-traveler of his on the journey.
Mr. Kunitz’ early experience in California was full of vicissitudes. He first went to the mines, where he endured many hardships. He made a fair start in business, and lost it in the Sacramento flood of 1850 and 1851. Then he engaged in the tobacconist trade in San Francisco, and was doing well again, when his stock was destroyed by fire. He then resumed his profession of druggist, and in 1853 came to Santa Cruz and engaged at work for F. A. Hihn, who had in the meantime established himself here. In 1859 Mr. Kunitz thought there was a field in Santa Cruz for a manufactory of soap and glue, and so he established the Santa Cruz Soap and Glue Works. The venture was quite successful. The products of the factory earned an excellent reputation, and increasing demand rendered necessary extensive additions to the resources of his establishment. Mr. Kunitz has remained in the same business ever since he first established it, and is now (1891) contemplating still further additions, which will nearly double the capacity of his factory.
In 1865 Mr. Kunitz was married to Miss Henrietta Marwede, a sister of Mrs. Werner Finkeldey and Mrs. Samuel Fell Parsons. Three children were born to them, but two have died. The surviving child, Otto Gustav, is now nineteen years old. He is a member of the class 1891 Santa Cruz High School. This young man has devoted a great deal of time to the study of music, for which he possesses extraordinary talent. He is a skillful performer upon the piano, and has earned a reputation as a composer.
p. 266-270 FREDERICK A. HIHN
Frederick A. Hihn was born on the sixteenth day of August, 1829, at Holzminden, Duchy of Brunswick, Germany. He was one of a family of seven boys and two girls. His father was a merchant. One of his brothers lives in Buenos Ayres, Argentine Republic, another at Berlin, Germany, and another brother and two sisters live in Zurich, Switzerland. He was educated in the high school at Holzminden, and at the age of fifteen entered the mercantile house of A. Hoffmann, of Schoeningen, as an apprentice. In his eighteenth year, having completed his apprenticeship, he engaged successfully in the business of collecting medicinal herbs and preparing them for market.
Disliking the German form of government, and yearning for political liberty, he was preparing to emigrate to Wisconsin, when the news of the gold discoveries in California reached Germany. He learned of the great throng forming all over the world for the gold land and joined it.
On the twentieth day of April, 1849, he and about sixty others sailed in the brig Reform from Bremen, via Cape Horn, for California. After two months’ sail they reached the harbor of Rio Janeiro. It seemed a paradise; the beauties of the tropical scenery and vegetation, and the balmy air, filled with the delicious odor of orange blossoms, entranced them, but they were disenchanted by the monotonous ejaculations and dogtrot of large gangs of slaves passing by, loaded down with heavy burdens. After five days’ sojourn they set sail again. Opposite the La Plata River they endured a terrific storm, then they passed through the Straits of La Maire and came in full sight of Cape Horn, a tall cliff jutting boldly into the ocean. It was midwinter and the thermometer low, but all thronged the deck to view the great column and bid adieu to the Atlantic Ocean. It seemed to them as if they were entering a new world.
In two weeks more they landed at Valparaiso, from where, after a four days’ stay, they sailed for San Francisco, and on the twelfth day of October, 1849, they entered the Golden Gate. The harbor was full of ships; they landed near the foot of Washington Street, not far from Montgomery Street. San Francisco was then but a small town, but every nationality seemed to be represented.
Although near the rainy season the most of the passengers of the Reform proceeded at once to the mines. Mr. Hihn joined a party of six for the same destination, led by Henry Gerstecker. After a world of troubles they reached the south fork of the Feather River in the early part of November. They bought a mining claim and prepared to locate for the winter, but it commenced to rain, and kept raining. The river rose and washed away their tools, and they had to subsist for a while on manzanita berries. After a two weeks’ vain attempt to make a living it was decided to return to Sacramento, which they finally reached about December 1. Here the party disbanded. Mr. Hihn and E. Kunitz, now his near neighbor, remained, and engaged in the manufacture of candy, then much in demand. They did a very good business for a few weeks, but about Christmas the Sacramento and American Rivers overflowed their banks, and the candy factory with all its contents was destroyed.
In the summer of 1850 Mr. Hihn worked in the mines at Long Bar, on the American River, below Auburn, with moderate success. In the fall he returned to Sacramento, where he became one of the proprietors of two hotels on K Street, named the Uncle Sam House and the Mechanics’ Exchange. Times getting very dull he sold out during the next winter, and opened a drug store in San Francisco, on Washington Street, near Maguire’ s Opera House.
The great fire of May, 1851, took nearly all his worldly goods, and what was left was consumed in the June fire of that year. Despairing of ever again succeeding, he was passing through the burnt district on his way to take passage for his native land, when he saw one of his friends, who had been burnt out, shoveling the burning coals out of the way. “What are you doing?” was asked. “Building a new store,” was the reply. “What, after having been burnt out twice within two months?” Said the friend, “Oh, someone will carry on business here; I might just as well do it as someone else!” This incident changed Mr. Hihn’s mind. New courage pervaded him, and, instead of returning home, he formed a co-partnership with Henry Hintch to open a store in some town south of San Francisco, where it was supposed money was not so plenty, but the danger from fire and water less, and life more agreeable.
In October, 1851, they came to Santa Cruz, where they located at the junction of Front Street and Pacific Avenue. Mr. Hintch went back to the city soon after, but Mr. Hihn remained. Having the advantage of a good mercantile education, speaking English, German, French, and Spanish fluently, besides having some knowledge of other languages, he soon succeeded in establishing a large and prosperous general merchandise business. In the year 1853 he erected what was then considered a fine two-story building. Then came the hard and trying times for Santa Cruz. Wheat, potatoes, and lumber, the principal products of the neighborhood, were almost worthless. Wheat sold for a cent a pound, potatoes rotted in the fields, and lumber went down from $55 to $12 per thousand feet. But instead of despairing this only spurred Mr. Hihn on to greater exertions. He could not afford to sell his goods on credit, so he exchanged them for the products of the country, paying part cash. The wheat was ground into flour, and large quantities of the latter and of lumber and shingles were shipped to Los Angeles and Monterey. Many days more than $500 worth of eggs and chickens were taken in and shipped to San Francisco. Fresh butter was put up in barrels and sold in the fall and winter in place of Eastern butter. In this manner the hard times were converted into good times for our young merchant and his patrons, and in 1857 he counted himself worth $30,000, but his health had suffered by hard work and business worry, and he turned his business over to his younger brother, Hugo.
On November 23, 1853, Mr. Hihn married his present wife, Miss Therese Paggen, a native of France, of German parents. The issue of this marriage are: Katie C., wife of W. T. Cope; Louis W., married to Harriet Israel and living at San Jose; August C., married to Grace Cooper, living at Santa Cruz; Fred O., married to Minnie Chace; also living in Santa Cruz; Theresa and Agnes, young ladies, living with their parents. The first residence of the young married couple was in the second story of the store at the junction of Pacific Avenue and Front Street. This building stands now on Pacific Avenue next to and north of Williamson & Garrett’s store, and the second story is occupied by the Decorative Art Society. In 1857 Mr. Hihn made his family residence on Locust Street, and in 1872 he built the fine mansion on Locust Street where he has ever since resided.
Soon after arriving in Santa Cruz Mr. Hihn directed his attention to real-estate operations, his general method being to buy large tracts, grade and open streets and roads, plant shade and other trees, and generally improve the land and neighborhood. Then he subdivided these tracts into lots and parcels and sold on such terms as would suit the convenience of buyers.
“Homes for a thousand families” was the favorite heading of his real-estate advertisements. A novel feature is the following clause, which he inserted in his contracts for the sale of land: “In the event of the death of the buyer, all mature installments having been promptly paid, the heirs of such deceased buyers are entitled to a deed without further payment.” Considering that but ten per cent of the purchase price is required to be paid at the time of buying, this is certainly an inviting proposition, of which many availed themselves in order to secure a home. The seller claimed that the losses by death were well covered by increased sales and the enhancement of values of unsold land. Mr. Hihn’s real-estate operations extended to nearly all parts of Santa Cruz County. Capitola, one of the most pleasant watering-places on the coast, was founded by him, and many of the streets of Santa Cruz and adjoining towns owe their origin to this indefatigable worker. He also owns some choice corner lots in San Francisco, conspicuous among which is the late headquarters of the Chronicle. While giving close attention to his private affairs he has always been foremost in advancing public interests. Among the works and measures of improvements in which he was a leading spirit are the construction of a wagon road across the Santa Cruz Mountains, connecting Santa Cruz with the outside world by telegraph, the construction and operation of the railroad from Santa Cruz to Pajaro and the opening of the cliff road in front of Santa Cruz, extending eastward to Capitola. In 1860, when even San Francisco had to depend upon the Sausalito boats for much of its water, when there was no Spring Valley and the Bensley Works were in their infancy, Mr. Hihn made water pipes from redwood logs and supplied the people of Santa Cruz with water for domestic purposes and fire protection. Afterwards he enlarged these works and built works in other parts of the county, so that finally all the water used in Santa Cruz, East Santa Cruz, Capitola, Soquel, and Valencia was supplied by him.
About twelve years ago he assisted in the organization of the Society of California Pioneers of Santa Cruz County, of which society he has been president ever since, and which has now over one hundred members.
In 1887 he assisted in the organization of the City Bank and City Savings Bank of Santa Cruz, acting as vice president of both institutions since their inception.
In public office Mr. Hihn served as school trustee of Santa Cruz when there was only one teacher in that now populous city, and under his management a high class was organized and maintained by subscription. He next served Santa Cruz County as a supervisor for six years. Times were dull then and money very scarce, the county was in debt, and county warrants sold at sixty cents on the dollar. Mr. Hihn distinguished himself by bringing county warrants up to par and largely reducing the county debt without increasing taxation. The county courthouse and a very substantial jail were erected under his careful management. In 1869 he was elected to the State Assembly, and during that term he performed a prodigious amount of work, a few of the measures he originated and had charge of being the following Acts of Legislature: A new charter for the city of Santa Cruz; a new financial system for the county of Santa Cruz; concerning estray animals; appointment of a commission to examine and survey Santa Cruz harbor for a breakwater; concerning roads and highways; authorizing a levy of district taxes for building schoolhouses; authorizing supervisors of counties to grant wharf franchises; providing for fees and salaries of State and township officers; authorizing supervisors to aid in the construction of railroads in their respective counties.
One of the most important measures he originated was that to refund the State debt, under which act about $4,000,000 of State bonds were successfully refunded at a saving of a large amount of interest to the State.
Mr. Hihn was largely interested in the Spring Valley Water Works while these works were being constructed. He also owned large blocks of stock in the San Francisco Gas Company, and is yet interested in the Visitacion Water Company, the Stockton Gas Company, and the Donohoe Kelly Banking Company. He is the largest stockholder of the Patent Brick Company, which is one of the principal suppliers of brick for San Francisco and other points on the bay. Near Aptos, in Santa Cruz, he built and is operating a sawmill with a capacity of seventy thousand feet of lumber per day, which supplies the Salinas and San Benito Valleys with redwood lumber. Telegraph and electric light poles up to sixty feet long are manufactured in large quantities. To bring the logs to the mill and the lumber to Aptos, a railroad has been built extending from Aptos into the very heart of the mountains, about eight miles long, through chasms and up steep grades. The cars have all been built at the mill. Shingles, shakes, and fruit boxes are also made in large quantities, and the offal of the timber is made into firewood and shipped to San Jose and other points. Mr. Hihn, although past sixty-two years of age, is still full of vigor and enjoys good health, but he realizes that the end of his career is not far off. He therefore commenced some years ago to execute his own will. As a crowning act of his business career, he organized a corporation under the name of the F. A. Hihn Company, a family union, which ties together his children by mutual interest. This company is managed by August C. Hihn as President, F. O. Hihn as Treasurer, W. T. Cope, his son-in-law, as Secretary, and L. W. Hihn as Director. This corporation has charge of all the large interests of Mr. Hihn, the most of which have been transferred to it, and the stock is owned exclusively by him and his family.
The corporate seal shows two clasped hands, intended to represent F. A. Hihn and his faithful wife; three links drop from the wrist of each hand, representing the three daughters and three sons, and a number of smaller links connected at each end with the larger links are intended to represent the descendants of his children. This corporation has now been in existence for over three years, and is in every respect a complete success, and gives great satisfaction to the originator.
During his busy career for the last forty-three years Mr. Hihn has not found much time for pleasure, but, having provided for all his family, and his boys proving themselves true chips of the old block, he considers himself as entitled to a long vacation, and intends to start early in the spring on a trip to the old fatherland, which he has not seen since he left it forty-three years ago. #
p. 369-370 WILLIAM BAIRD.
William Baird was born at Waitsfield, Vermont, August 6, 1843. He was reared on a farm and educated in the public schools of Waitsfield.
April 4, 1868, he landed in San Francisco, and packed his blankets to Ellsworth Mill, and got a job chopping wood, and soon afterward obtained a position as “swamper.” Mr. Baird has been working in the redwoods ever since, and by his knowledge of the business, industry, and good management, has acquired the nucleus of a competence. He began this work at $40 a month. He is now contracting to deliver logs at the mill and making several thousand dollars a year.
In the spring of 1882 he took a contract from the Santa Clara Valley Mill and Lumber Company, and later was employed by Mr. Dougherty at a salary of $100 per month. After working a month and a half his employer voluntarily informed him that his salary was increased to $125 a month. He remained here four years. He worked four years for F. A. Hihn, as logging boss, at a salary of $150 a month. In March, 1890, he formed a partnership with James Daugherty, and took a contract to get out twenty-two million feet of logs in two years. He is engaged in this work now.
p. 377 “The City Bank.”
This bank was organized in Santa Cruz in 1887, and has since been doing a profitable business. Its officers are: L. K. Baldwin, President; F. A. Hihn, Vice President; W. D. Haslam, Cashier; T. G. McGreary, Assistant Cashier. The directors are: L. K. Baldwin, F. A. Hihn, I. L. Thurber, Jackson Sylvar, A. E. Pena, A. A. Russell, and M. A. Buckley.
A general banking business is conducted. The following is a list of its correspondents:—
San Francisco, Donohoe-Kelly Banking Co., Wells, Fargo & Co.’s Bank, First National Bank, and Bank of California; San Jose, Commercial and Savings Bank; Salinas City, Salinas City Bank; Watsonville, Bank of Watsonville; New York, Eugene Kelly & Co.; London, Alliance Bank, limited; Paris, Credit Lyonais.
The bank assets the 31st of December, 1891, were $168,985.64. Its deposits were $105,248.70; the paid-up capital, $46,050, and the reserve fund, $11,174.69.
The City Savings Bank, under the same management, commenced business in 1888. A sworn statement of its condition at the close of the year 1891 showed assets of the value of $236,357.98. The amount due depositors was $215,158.45.