Now that the final items from the Grateful Dead's warehouse have arrived in Santa Cruz we've started to organize and make an inventory of the contents. We won't be making the Archive publically accessible until the debut of Dead Central in the newly renovated McHenry Library now scheduled to open summer 2010.
Until then, we've put together a small sample of what will be found in the Archive into two exhibition cases. These are located adjacent to the Special Collections' Reading Room within the Visual Resources Collection in the McHenry Addition. Hours to view the material during regular academic quarters are Mondays-Thursdays 9:00 am - 9:00 pm, Fridays 9:00-5:00, and Sundays 1:00-6:00 pm.
We'll be rotating the contents of the cases every academic quarter. Here is what's currently on display:
• Issues of the Golden Road, a Grateful Dead fanzine published by Blair Jackson and Regan McMahon
• Dead Head Newsletter, # 6 November 1972 and #9 April 1973, Ice Nine Publishing Co.
• The Book of the Dead, from England '72
• Envelopes, hand decorated by fans when requesting concert tickets
• Sample tickets, backstage passes, DeadBase stickers
• Insert for Garcia, 1974 Round Record release
• Concert Program for 1983/1984 with memoriam for Pigpen McKernan
• Bam, August 1978 concert review
• Rolling Stone magazine Sept. 21, 1995, memorial issue to Jerry Garcia
• Tape reel from Dick's Picks, with notes by Dick Latvala
• Herb Greene photo "Barbershop Haight St. Next to MNASIDIKA", 1967
• Herb Green photo "First Publicity Photo for Warner Brothers" taken on Haight St., 1967
• Amalie Rothschild photo "Grateful Dead at the Fillmore East January 2, 1970"
• The Dead Red Rocks 2003 tour poster designed by Richard Biffle
• The Grateful Dead 1965-1973 Golden Road poster designed by J. Austin
Click here to see some photos of the exhibit cases.