Researchers may discover a wealth of historical material in the Out in the Redwoods archive at McHenry Library's Special Collections, some of which is featured as images on this website. Materials include: syllabi and readers for courses focused on GLBT issues; photos from GLBT graduations, organizations, marches, and events; student, alumni, faculty, and staff artwork, interviews, class writings, videos, tapes, poetry and other creative writing; buttons from events and organizations; newletters and posters; files from the GLBT Campus Concerns Committee; files from student GLBT groups; and the records of the battle for UC domestic partner and other civil rights. Also associated with these archives are Alison Kim's Asian/Pacific Islander Lesbian Collection, and the HerBooks Lesbian Feminist Press Archive. Between the Lines: A Pacific/Asian Lesbian Anthology, a groundbreaking anthology which has been out of print for years is now available here in digital format! A finding aid to the Out in the Redwoods archive will soon be available online through the Online Archive of California.
If you have material that you would like to add to this collection, please contact Irene Reti at the Regional History Project (email@example.com) or the Special Collections Department at the University Library.
A Documentary History Project
Four Decades of Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgendered History at UC Santa Cruz
What was it like to be lesbian, gay, bisexual, or transgendered during the past four decades at UC Santa Cruz? Since the 1960s, UC Santa Cruz has been a vital and inspiring center of LGBT culture and activism. The University Library is seeking to document this unique history through a multigenerational oral history project and the expansion of the library's LGBT collections. The library already has substantial collections in this area, including:
- An Asian/Pacific lesbian archive, archives of UCSC student activism, and the archive of HerBooks lesbian press.
- A multigenerational oral history project with interviews conducted by UCSC students and published in an oral history anthology.
- Creative narratives by LGBT people affiliated with UCSC, to be incorporated into the Out in the Redwoods anthology.
- Web-based digital archive of LGBT collections and oral histories available through the Online Archive of California
- LGBT library exhibit featuring selections from Out in the Redwoods collections and oral histories