December 11, 2008
Present: Frank Gravier (Chair), Sarah Troy (Vice Chair), Deborah Murphy (CAPA Chair), Ken Lyons (General Committee Chair), Nicole Lawson (Secretary), and members: Christy Caldwell, Lee Jaffe, Ginny Steel, Lucia Orlando, Karen Mockrzycki, Kerry Scott, Elizabeth Cowell, Sue Perry, Annette Marines, Cynthia Jahns, Robin Dale, Christy Hightower, Danielle Kane, Christine Bunting, John Speagle, Greg Careaga, Lai-Ying Hsiung, and Ann Hubble.
1. Announcements: None
2. Research and Professional Development Report: Member Scott thanked the committee for their hard work on the report. Scott highlighted the following recommendations:
Before concluding the discussion of the report, UL Steel briefly clarified the expectations under Criteria 1 of the review process for professional development and travel. She reinforced the that Librarians at the Assistant rank are expected to gain competence in their primary job responsibilities and exhibit potential for greater professional involvement in the first steps advancement. Steel also recommended that all Librarians explore development options that do not require travel, such as writing articles, blog, book chapters or virtual conference attendance. With regard to Admin funded travel, there has been no official freeze to this funding, but no non-essential travel will be approved.
Action: The R&PD report will filed, posted to the LAUC webpage and discussed at the next Executive Council meeting.
3. Chair's Report: Gravier sent out a summary of the Fall Assembly report of 12/10. Information on presentations this year can be found here. Member Jahns was named as the Chair of the Statewide Diversity Committee. With regard to the LAUC-SC Ongoing Tasks list, Gravier would like rearrange and group the tasks under general topic headings during the next Executive Council meeting in order to make updating these tasks more manageable.
4. Vice Chair's Report: Troy has forwarded the statewide call for grant proposals, due 1/09/09. Member Hightower has joined the local R&PD committee. A statewide program to offer mini grants of $500 has been approved. Troy will forward the official information to the membership when she receives it.
5. General Committee Chair's Report: None
6. Secretary's Report: None
7. CAPA Chair's Report : Murphy attended the first meeting of the Ad Hoc Selection Committee for the Assistant Head of Technical Services. Murphy also sent out a draft of "Guidelines for of Criteria for Librarian Personnel Actions within UCSC Libraries" and asked for comment from the membership.
Discussion of the guidelines was paused to be continued in the CAPA workshop immediately following the General Membership meeting.
Minutes by Lawson