April 2, 2009
Present: Frank Gravier (Chair), Sarah Troy (Vice Chair), Ken Lyons (General Committee Chair), Nicole Lawson (Secretary), and members Beth Remak
Absent: Deborah Murphy (CAPA Chair)
1. Announcements: Member Remak noted that a recent article in the Chronicle of Higher Education entitled "Humanists must plan their digital future" has been sent out to several members of the Committee on Libraries. She recommended that the LAUC Rep read the article before the next CoL meeting.
2. Report from the Campus Welfare Committee : Member Remak was unable to attend the March meeting, but she summarized the minutes she received.
Member Remak will send a query to the membership requesting issues that LAUC can bring up at the next CWC meeting.
3. Report on Meeting with Library Administration: Gravier and Troy met with Admin on March 12 to discuss outstanding items on the Ongoing Tasks List. Gravier forwarded the topics to Admin in advance of the meeting.
4. Subscription to Library Literature: The cost for the 2009-10 subscription will be $405 (including a 5% annual increase) for UCSC. We should be able to encumber funds from this year's budget to pay for this. There was a consensus among the Executive Council that we should maintain the subscription for at least the next year. Gravier will follow-up with statewide LAUC to find out what other campuses are doing.
5. LAUC Budget: LAUC has $3000 left for the fiscal year. The fee for the time management workshop will be $1600. This will leave ~$1400, less the cost for the Library Literature subscription. Previous recommendations have been made to spend these funds on a new LAUC laptop, web cameras and digital voice recorders. Troy will investigate the actual cost of a new laptop. Gravier will talk Connie Croker about encumbering funds for next year.
6. Nominations for 2009-10 LAUC elections: General Committee Chair Lyons, Member Perry and Member Scott make up the nominating committee. The committee is using the service matrix created by member Kane to determine whom they should encourage to join next year's Executive Council.
7. Chair's Report: Gravier sent out a message to the membership about setting up a brown bag session regarding the goal-setting process. He will work with CAPA Chair Murphy to set a date and place. Senior Admin members of LAUC will be invited to attend.
8. Vice Chair's Report: Troy is working with member Mokrzycki to gather information from UCI and UCB on how they rollover R&PD funds. UCB's response was included in the March LAUC minutes, but they are still waiting for a response from UCI. The next step will be to set up a meeting with AUL McGirr and Croker about implementing these methods at UCSC.
9. General Committee Chair's Report: Joyce Irby will be presenting a workshop entitled "Managing Multiple Responsibilties" on 5/29/09 from 9:30am - 2pm. Lyons left a message with Beth Weisberg about scheduling a program on work/life balance. This has been tentatively scheduled for finals week.
10. Secretary's Report: None
Minutes by Lawson