LAUC-SC Executive Board Minutes 3-6-08

LAUC-Santa Cruz Executive Council Meeting Minutes
March 6, 2008

Present: Kerry Scott (Chair), Frank Gravier (Vice Chair), Sue Perry (CAPA Chair), Christy Hightower (Secretary), Danielle Kane (General Committee Chair), and member Cynthia Jahns.

Announcements:

  • Due to the McHenry move the next LAUC Executive Board meeting on April 3 will be at the S&E Library room 215.
  • May 7th is the statewide LAUC spring assembly.

Chair's Report:
Report on the February 19 2008 UCSC Committee on the Library (CoL) meeting:

  • The committee discussed the 2007-2008 Professional School's that have been proposed so far (see details at http://senate.ucsc.edu/ProfSchlsindex.html).  Schools in the pre-proposal stage right now include a School of the Environment, a School of Management, a School of Public Health, and a School of Education.  The CoL noted that only one of the pre-proposals mentioned the library, so CoL will send the appropriate people feedback on that lack.
  • CoL Chair Donna Hunter offered to write a letter of support for the library as we prepare for probable campus budget cuts and while appreciative UL Steel said she didn't think that was needed at this time.
  • Donna Hunter gave an update on the work of the UC-wide University Committee on Library and Scholarly Communication but there was not much new to report.
  • There was a question about the Library's role vs. the campus role in meeting the new law that says: "The Director of the National Institutes of Health shall require that all investigators funded by the NIH submit or have submitted for them to the National Library of Medicine's PubMed Central an electronic version of their final, peer-reviewed manuscripts upon acceptance for publication to be made publicly available no later than 12 months after the official date of publication: Provided, That the NIH shall implement the public access policy in a manner consistent with copyright law."  It was noted that the new law doesn't really change the library's role in the publication process.

The local R&PD LAUC task force met this week to begin their work.  They reviewed their charge and outlined some next steps.  The next meeting of the group will be on March 14th.

Vice Chair's Report:
Gravier reported that Karen Mokrzycki, our representative to the UC-wide R&PD committee, will be soliciting membership feedback on ways to streamline the research funding process, the desirability of splitting funds or providing for mini-grants, and will ask if there are any other ways to encourage that these research funds be spent.  [See Mokrzycki's email to the membership on 3/6/08].  The UC-wide committee is also going to clarify to what extent the local R&PD committees should be involved in evaluating the statewide proposals.

Gravier, Mokrzycki and Sarah Troy (our local R&PD committee) met and will be reviewing and updating our local R&PD documents and will be suggesting criteria for evaluating requests to spend local R&PD money on projects rather than travel.

CAPA Chair's report:
The CAPA report from last year is not yet finished. The review process is already falling behind for this year. Perry will send an email reminder to the membership of our desire and stated commitment to stick to the calendar this year. 

After some discussion the board agreed to set our local spring general membership meeting for May 15th with the following agenda:
-- 2007 CAPA report
-- Report from the spring assembly
-- Report on the slate of candidates for our local LAUC elections for this coming year
-- Presentation of the report from the local Recruitment & Retention Task Force
-- Presentation of the report from the local R&PD Task Force

Scott will Cruztime calendar the membership for the May 15th meeting.  [done]

General Committee Chair's Report:
After some discussion it was agreed that the speaker should be scheduled for summer.  The board brainstormed some possible presentation topics including time management, project management, meeting facilitation.  The idea of just have a social event was also considered.  Both time management and project management were the top two topics of interest.  Kane will investigate getting a shorter and more library centric version of the project management training that is provided to ITS staff.

Kane reported that the final report of the Recruitment & Retention Task Force will be sent to the executive board on Friday March 7th.  The board will read and be ready to discuss the report at the April 3 board meeting. Kane and Scott will consider how to bring the report to the attention of the statewide LAUC Diversity Committee which now has this topic under their charge.

Secretary's Report:  Nothing to report at this time.

Minutes by Hightower