LAUC-SC Executive Council Meeting Minutes
February 3, 2005, 9:00am
McHenry room 325
2. Chair's Report
Activity at statewide LAUC:
- Kari Lucas (SD), Linda Kennedy (D), and Terence Huwe (B) have
drafted a white paper on the the instructional role of librarians.
Kari Lucas has also posted, concerning this topic, the first guest
opinion piece on the LAUC website with
some background on conditions at San Diego, available online at
- Dan Goldstein (D), Andrea Duda (SB), Anita Colby (LA), Janet
Martorana (SB), and Angela Riggio (LA) have been appointed to an ad
hoc committee that will explore forming a peer-reviewed journal to be
published by LAUC via eScholarship.
- LAUC is soliciting experts or interested librarians for authoring
white papers on Copyright/Fair Use and Privacy.
- LAUC Exec. Board is gathering information on Academic Senate and
librarian relations at each campus.
- LAUC Exec. Board is gathering information on definition of emeritus
status at each campus.
- Take note: The LAUC Spring Assembly is scheduled for June 2 and 3,
at UC Santa Barbara.
Activity of LAUC-SC:
- Lyons communicated concern to library administration over recent
news that the north side of McHenry was no longer designated a free
speech area of campus. Acting UL White talked to the Chief Operating
Officer of Student Affairs and, after meetings with other campus
groups, the area has been reinstated as a "public expression area"
which is "open to the public generally".
- LAUC-SC Executive Council is discussing the formation of an ad hoc
committee to review membership and procedures of CAPA at other UCs.
Action: Lyons will look into 2 or 3 specific questions or topics to
address and possible membership for the ad hoc committee.
3. Vice Chair's Report
- Invitation to meet with library staff has been extended to incoming
Chancellor Denton. Nothing has been scheduled so far.
- Reminder: Each librarian has $900 in R&PD funds for the fiscal
year. There will
be no redistribution of unused funds at the end of the year.
4. CAPA Chair's Report
- 10 librarians are up for review this year.
- Final documentation was due to review initiators January 31.
5. General Committee Report
- Presentations from Judy Kaufman are scheduled for Feb. 15 at 10am
and 2pm. She will cover national issues of interest to all library
staff. More details to follow from Caldwell.
6. Secretary's Report
- Lucia Orlando has generously offered to take over LAUC-SC
secretarial duties while Perry is on maternity leave, beginning in
Respectfully submitted by Susan Perry, LAUC-SC Secretary
Electronic Services Coordinator
1156 High Street
Santa Cruz, CA 95064
chesley at ucsc.edu