LAUC-SC Executive Board Minutes 11-1-07


LAUC-Santa Cruz Executive Council Meeting Minutes

Thursday, Nov 1 2007
9:00 am to 10:00 am
Location: McHenry 325

Present: Kerry Scott (Chair), Frank Gravier (Vice Chair), Sue Perry (CAPA Chair), Danielle Kane (General Committee Chair), Christy Hightower (Secretary)

1. Announcements - none

OLD BUSINESS

2. Draft Statement of Responsibilities for the LAUC Buddy Program. Christy Caldwell sent a draft to the Executive Council prior to this meeting. The text was discussed. It was agreed that a more professional name like "Guide" be used instead of "Buddy" to better reflect the substantive nature of the role. It was decided that the Executive Council's role should be to approve rather than assign the specific person to the role of Guide in order to encourage suggestions and participation in the selection from the new librarian's supervisor. The role of Guides for temporary librarians was discussed, noting the recruitment and retention role the LAUC Guide can play in such cases. It was agreed that the document should clarify if temporary and substitute librarians are eligible for Guides. Gravier later clarified that per the bylaws rules for LAUC membership that since Guides are limited to LAUC-SC members temporary librarians (50% or more) would be eligible for Guides; substitute librarians would not. ACTION: Scott will make the appropriate changes in the text and send to the Executive Committee for review.

3. Final review of all the informal executive board job descriptions currently on the web. Scott edited the job descriptions to change personal names to job titles, and she added the list of suggested documents to be sent to the archive that were in the bylaws to the Secretary's informal job description page since it was agreed that was a more appropriate place for it. There were also some minor changes in the Chair's job description. ACTION: Scott already made the changes in the html and will send those files to Kane for posting on the web.

4. Review of new draft wording for revisions to the secretary section of the bylaws, and preparation for voting on these changes at the December 6th General Membership Meeting. Scott distributed copies of the two suggested changes to the bylaws regarding the duties of the Secretary, which we will bring to the membership for a vote to approve at the Fall Membership meeting on December 6, 2007. Suggested changes are below. We will need a quorum at the meeting in order for the vote to take place [note: Hightower later looked up the current number of librarians and counting the new S&E temporary hire we have 28 librarians, so a quorum (which is a majority) is 15.]

Bylaws Changes:
Section 4, Part C number 1 currently reads:
1. Supply members with agendas at least 5 working days in advance of membership meetings. Record minutes and distribute within 15 days to the members of the Division, the Secretary of the statewide Association, and to the chief officer of each of the other local divisions.

Suggested change:
1. Supply members with agendas at least 5 working days in advance of membership meetings. Record minutes and distribute within 15 days to the members of the Division, the Secretary of the statewide Association, and to the chief officer of each of the other local divisions.

Section 4, Part C number 8 currently reads:
8. Prior to leaving office, produce paper copies of selected documents from the past year's LAUC/SC web pages and transmit them to Special Collections for inclusion in the LAUC/SC Archives according to guidelines established by the membership. Among the documents recommended for archiving are: minutes of LAUC/SC Executive Council Meetings, the annual CAPA report, minutes of the CAPA workshop, minutes of the annual CAPA meetings, the roster of LAUC/SC members, and the roster of LAUC/SC Leadership and Statewide Committee Representatives. The archive is managed by Special Collections and decisions regarding its preservation and storage are the responsibility of that unit.

Suggested change:
8. Prior to leaving office, produce paper copies of selected select appropriate documents from the past year's LAUC/SC web pages and/or any other relevant documents and transmit them to Special Collections for inclusion in the LAUC/SC Archives according to guidelines established by the membership and in the format which Special Collections prefers. Among the documents recommended for archiving are: minutes of LAUC/SC Executive Council Meetings, the annual CAPA report, minutes of the CAPA workshop, minutes of the annual CAPA meetings, the roster of LAUC/SC members, and the roster of LAUC/SC Leadership and Statewide Committee Representatives. The archive is managed by Special Collections and decisions regarding its preservation and storage are the responsibility of that unit.

ACTION: Scott will check Steel's calendar to make sure December 6 will work for the membership meeting and CAPA workshop, and Perry with her CAPA chair hat on will Cruztime all LAUC-SC members to attend in addition to sending an explanation of why such attendance would be a good thing.

NEW BUSINESS

5. Chair's Report. Scott and Gravier attended a UC wide conference call of the LAUC executive committee. Plans for the Fall Assembly Nov 15 and 16 at Merced were discussed (see http://lauc.ucmercedlibrary.info/ for assembly information). The new charges for the committees have not yet been been distributed.

Talking about the new charge for the Statewide Diversity Committee to focus on recruitment and retention issues prompted a suggested that we charge a local LAUC-SC General Committee to update the Santa Cruz recruitment and retention document produced in 2002 by the LAUC-SC General Committee on Librarian Retention. It was suggested that Cynthia Jahns, as the new Santa Cruz rep to the Statewide Diversity Committee be included in the local group. ACTION: Scott will try to schedule a meeting of the Executive Council and Jahns to flesh out the charge for such a group.

Scott and Gravier also attended a Committee on the Library (CoL) meeting. Much of the CoL meeting focused on the systemwide CoL & Scholarly Communication (UCoLaSC) activity regarding the Open Access Policy. UCoLaSC is suggesting that the revision to the policy make it easier for people to opt in by including the following:

- an on-line copyright information resource center
- an easy to use, fill-in-the-blank copyright agreement form
- a UCOP-level push to the publishers regarding UC stance on open access

Additionally, the UColaSC committee is recommending that two additional voting members of the committee be added - at least one recommended member was one of the faculty who worked on the white papers for open access.

6. Vice Chair's Report: Gravier has been receiving some R&PD travel requests and will send out a reminder to the membership on procedures for doing that.

7. CAPA Chair's Report: Perry and Gravier (this year and past year's CAPA chairs) met with Kate McGirr to discuss the delays in the recent librarian review process. Unfortunately, there are no consequences for participants missing deadlines. CAPA is going to recommend to Ginny Steel that she make a strong statement to all the librarians about her expectations that everyone stick to the review calendar.

8. General Committee Report: Kane is working on choosing and scheduling a speaker for next year.

9. Secretary's Report: nothing to report.

Minutes by Hightower