LAUC-SC Executive Council minutes, 10/10/12, 9:00 a.m. - 10:00 a.m.
In attendance: Christy Caldwell (Vice-Chair), Frank Gravier (Secretary), Ann Hubble (CAPA Chair), Lee Jaffe (General Committee Chair), Annette Marines (Immediate Past Chair), Lucia Orlando (Chair).
Call to order.
- Date for Nov. LAUC SC meeting to be changed from 11/8 to 11/14.
- Reminder about the CDL Data Curation workshops to be held Nov. 8 & 9th in Oakland and Nov. 13th and 14th at UC Irvine.
- LAUC Statewide Conference Call. Orlando reported on highlights. LAUC leadership Keri Botell (President) and Nick Robinson (Vice President) met with the Council of University Librarians to discuss topics including the role of LAUC, online education, future of UC libraries and librarians, and declining LAUC membership. The UL's are working on a document outlining their vision for the future library workforce. A copy will be shared with LAUC when it is ready for review.
Terms of service and the divisional role of members of the the R&PD committee were discussed. Appointments are for two years. Members should also be members of their local division's R&PD committee. It has been the practice that R&PD members may not submit LAUC grant proposals due to potential conflicts of interest. LAUC-I has asked that a recusal model be considered which would make R&PD committee membership more attractive to potential volunteers by making them eligible for LAUC grants.
Statewide committee appointments have been made and drafting of committee charges is underway. Assembly planning is the principle agenda topic for the next meeting. The Assembly is being held at UCLA and program themes are being solicited. LAUC SC members are invited to send program ideas suggestions to Orlando.
- Orlando reported on her monthly meeting with the University Librarian. UL Steel expressed her support and encouragement for LAUC member attendance at the Data Curation workshops sponsored by CDL.
- Vice Chair report. There is an outstanding question as to whether or not the Library's representative to Graduate Council is a LAUC appointee. Caldwell will confer with colleagues who have served on the Graduate Council and report back to the Executive Council.
Caldwell also urged LAUC members to submit R&PD requests early. Due to changes in campus and library mail delivery, mail is only delivered once a day to S&E so requests may take two or more days to reach Caldwell.
- CAPA Chair report. A draft of the CAPA report has been completed. It will be reviewed with the University Librarian and the AUL for Administrative Services. The final report will then be distributed to the membership. November 14th is tentatively scheduled as the date to formally present the report to the membership. The CAPA workshop will take place in early December.
- General Committee Chair report. Jaffe is working on some potential LAUC programs. He is considering using the LAUC 2012/2013 goals as a guide to themes and topics that might be covered.
LAUC ACRONYM PAGE
- Council discussed the challenges of maintaining the LAUC Acronym page and decided to provide a link to UCSB's page. Council will revisit this decision if there is a need to provide more local acronym definitions.
LAUC BUDDY FOR MARCIA BARRETT
- Annette Marines will be LAUC Guide for Barrett. The Council thanked her for volunteering.
2012 - 2013 GOALS DISCUSSION
- This discussion centered on the prioritization of the goals identified (see LAUC minutes for 9/6/12). Support for revision of the provisional PAPA documentation is considered one of the high priority goals. On behalf of LAUC the CAPA committee will take the lead on this in collaboration with the Executive Council and Library Administration. Other high priority goals identified include an update to the recruitment calendar, and review and possible revision to the bylaws.
Minutes submitted by Frank Gravier, 11/7/12