UCSC Library Mission Statement
The University Library is the principal provider of scholarly information resources to the campus community. We work with faculty and students in the discovery, use and management of information that supports their research, teaching and learning.
UCSC Library Strategic Directions
1. The University Library manages discovery and access to scholarly information sources for the UCSC community.
- Maintain and develop innovative tools to enhance discovery and access
- Ensure that the the library’s online presence meets or exceeds campus requirements for accessibility
- Integrate licensed library resources and services into the campus learning management system
- Refine collection development and management strategies to make them more efficient and responsive to the needs of our constituents
- Collaborate with UC campus libraries and the California Digital Library to secure access to ebooks, scholarly journals, and data sets on the most favorable terms
- Collaborate across campus, within the University of California, and in the broader academic library community to advocate and promote alternative modes of publishing
2. The University Library supports the curation of UCSC researchers’ unique data and scholarly output.
- Educate graduate students and faculty on data management resources and best practices
- Provide expert assistance in metadata creation and data management
- Leverage the resources and expertise of the University of California Curation Center for the benefit of UCSC researchers
- Facilitate Open Access journal and data repository submissions for UCSC researchers
- Support the move to electronic theses and dissertation by facilitating the integration of UCSC digital dissertations into the eScholarship repository
3. The University Library’s Special Collections offers UCSC’s academic community, visiting scholars, and members of the general public access to the library’s rare and unique holdings. Special Collections also manages the University Archives—the designated repository for records, documents, selected faculty papers, publications, visual resources, and selected memorabilia pertaining to UCSC.
- Develop and preserve collections of historical and cultural significance to researchers around the world, especially those that support the university’s teaching and research foci
- Preserve and make accessible UCSC’s collections of rare books, manuscripts, archives, photographs, and other rare and special materials by means of efficient processing and digitization
- Partner with the campus to optimally preserve and administer the University Archives, especially in view of the upcoming 50th anniversary in 2015
4. The University Library provides physical space and resources that enhance the student experience and support teaching, learning, and research.
- Manage a robust computing infrastructure including workstations, software, printing, wireless networking, and help desk support
- Offer a variety of spaces that facilitate both individual quiet study and group study
- Align services and hours to user needs and behaviors
5. The University Library deploys its human resources to maximum effect.
- Recruit staff with knowledge, skills, and abilities that align with the emerging technologies and practices critical to the evolution of information technology in higher education
- Encourage and support librarian and staff professional development that directly supports the library’s strategic directions with an emphasis on data management
- Train librarians and staff to communicate authoritatively to UCSC students, faculty, and staff about the teaching, learning, and research services and resources available to them
- Develop and refine academic divisional teams to deliver research, instruction, and collection support to the campus
- Create effective, self-directed instruction tools to support non-subject-specific lower-division instruction
- Maintain subject, course, and other guides to assist students with their research needs
- Leverage consortial partnerships to deliver efficient research assistance